Snowbirds Car Shipping from Canada to US

The vast majority of snowbirds will want their own car in their destination of choice for the winter and long term car rentals can be expensive. And not everyone wants or, indeed, is able to drive their own car to their winter destination. There are several options available to Canadian snowbirds, including hiring a professional vehicle shipping company.

For many years, Professional Car Carriers has worked with seasonal vacationers to safely transport their vehicles Southbound and return. Our carriers are fully insured. We offer convenient snowbird transportation services such as door-to-door or terminal to terminal service. We assist all of our clients in processing cross-border documentation and duties to alleviate stress and ensure that all vehicles are transported quickly and efficiently.

How long can my car be in the U.S.?

Canadians can leave their car in the U.S. for up to one year with Canadian registration and a Canadian driver’s license, after which you will have to get a U.S. registration and insurance, meet U.S. environmental standards and pay duty on importing the vehicle.

Licensing, Insurance and Other Considerations

Regardless of how you get your car down to the U.S., you’ll need to look after the following items before you leave:

  • Driver’s License and Registration: Make sure you renew your driver’s license and vehicle registration before you leave for the winter.
  • Auto Insurance: Most Canadian auto insurers limit the amount of time you can have your vehicle outside Canada to 6 months, but this can vary so be sure to check with your insurance company and read your policy.

Documentation & Other Considerations

To avoid issues at the border, you will need to provide your driver with the following documents:

  1. If your car has personal belongings in it, be sure to fill out a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Form 3299;
  2. If your car has personal belongings in it, be sure to complete a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Form E-15 Certificate of Destruction/Exportation that accurately lists all of your personal items to avoid paying duty and taxes on these personal items when you return to Canada in the spring;
  3. When you return to Canada in the spring, a copy of a completed CBSA Form E-24 Personal Exemption CBSA Declaration listing all of the items being driven back in your car, along with a copy of the completed Form E-15 when your vehicle entered the U.S.
  4. A letter of authorization, a copy of your vehicle ownership registration and insurance, and a photocopy of your passport;

Professional Car Carriers provides vehicle transport services to and from locations in Canada and the US, especially Florida. We will assist you in processing proper documentation. With us, you will save time and money as well as alleviating stress during the trip. We provide and assist with required paperwork ahead of time to ensure your vehicle is transported quickly and efficiently. Contact us at +1 888-755-6888 or book your transportation here:

Leave a comment

No Comments

Leave a Reply

three × three =